Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Three Sisters



We enjoyed a lovely getaway to Sisters, Oregon this past weekend. It's a beautiful little historic town with mountain peaks on every horizon. The Three Sisters loom over the southern horizon, a range depicted in an antique oil painting I found several years ago.



The above photograph is of the same range, although the third Sister is hidden by the trees. This beautiful photograph was provided by Mike Putnam Photography.

While in Sisters, I couldn't help but think of the artist, and the era during which he or she walked the streets of this same small western town. I also thought of the day on which they sat down to capture the Three Sisters on canvas... individually named Faith, Hope and Charity by early settlers of the area. Did the artist live there or were they visiting, and did the three 'sister' peaks offer the same feelings of warmth and affection they do me?

I purchased this painting around twelve years ago. I was living in Maine at the time, but visiting family in Los Angeles when I saw it in an antique store. I was drawn to the painting because it reminded me of my western roots and our forays into the mountains for family vacations. I thought it would be a nice memento to keep with me while living across the country. Little did I know that one day I would return west and live within a few hours of the range.

Isn't life extraordinary that way?



The painting is signed "Owens." I've attempted to find out more about the artist but haven't had much luck since I don't have the artist's first name.

This painting is in need of a good cleaning. I've never had an antique painting cleaned before but have begun to consider it more frequently after being introduced to the process in a gallery specializing in antique art. The cleaning process takes off layers of dust, smoke and other debris that have come to settle on the piece over the years. As you can see in the example below, cleaning can result in an amazing transformation in brightness and hue.



This example is provided by Gainsborough Products, LLC. The restored area completely unveils this man's face - a complete rebirth of the piece.

The cleaning process helps restore the color quality close to its original state, which is much more representative of the artist's intentions. I'm reminded of the vivid pieces found in museums, where the intricate detail of each brush stroke shines through after such reverent restorations.

I don't own artwork of any great value. Nevertheless, I still think it's worth investing in cleaning pieces you really love. Other pieces I often consider cleaning are...



...my beautiful horse painting. I know that my four equine friends would be absolutely delighted to stand under a bright blue sky once again.



This landscape done by a Portland, Oregon artist years ago is another piece I often consider cleaning.

I feel that restoration cleaning of antique art is best done by a professional. The average cost is around $100 depending on the size and age of the piece. I haven't yet set aside a 'painting cleaning fund' for my collection. I hope to though, as I'd like to do my best to help preserve these wonderful works of original art.

Please don't forget to vote in Bloomingdale's Big Window Challenge! Eddie Ross is the designer for Elle Decor's window display and needs your vote! I'm a big fan of Eddie Ross and his philosophy of design. It's a philosophy that I hold close, and that embodies an important sentiment - finding affordable ways by which to create a beautiful home with the things that you love.

Go here to cast your vote for Eddie Ross!

0 comments:

Post a Comment