Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Anthropologie Furniture VS. CraigsList

Confession:
While Anthropologie is one of my very favorite stores, it mostly serves as a source of inspiration for me. I always keep my notebook handy while shopping there. I jot down my favorite things and then go online when I get home to check other sources. It seems like I can usually find the same product for about half of the Anthro price. That probably makes me sound like a cheapskate. But hey, we're students! Cut me some slack!

I love a few of the furniture lines at Anthropologie, and even though they have a 25% off upholstery sale every few months, I still can't afford any of these pieces.

I love to keep these images of Anthro furniture in my mind as I scour garage sales and CraigsList for furniture with potential that I can paint or reupholster to get the desired look. It can be intimidating to paint an "antique" or to sew a slipcover. But I really think that anyone can do this stuff.

It's rainy today in Brussels, so we're stuck inside. I decided to have some fun and see what an "around the US" Craig's List search would come up with. I chose a random city for each piece of Anthro furniture that I liked and tried to find something for sale that, with a little elbow grease, could look very similar. I can't believe all the great furniture for sale out there! If you've got an hour (or more) to kill, type in "vintage" or "antique" in your CraigsList. You'll have to sort through some junk, but I'm sure you'll find some gems. Make sure you have this program downloaded so you can preview the pictures.

1a. Ditte Sofa. $3500

I am totally in love with the Ditte sofa. The photos don't do this beauty justice. It is shockingly comfortable. Seriously, take a seat next time you are in the store. You'll be surprised.

While at first glance it looks like a pretty modern piece of furniture, I think this couch would work in almost any style room.


1b. Hepplewhite sofa on LA's Craigslist. They're asking for $500, but I bet they could be talked down. I am so jealous of whoever snatches this one up. This picture's worthless, but I think a little paint, some beautiful linen and a few bolster pillows would make for a great transform.



2a. Amelie sofa at Anthro, $4000. This sofa caused a craze around the design blogs a few seasons ago. I still like it.It reminds me of Drew Barrymore's sofa


and Reshida Jones'. Both sofas are beautiful and don't look stuffy or old fashioned at all.


2b. Vintage sofa on Dallas CL, $90. Oh the potential...

3a. Calandria chair at Anthro, $1500
3b. Danish Chairs on New York CL $150. That fabric has to go! I think they're flexible on the price.


4a. Anthropologie's Josef Wingback chair, $2000
I love that this wing chair is not "granny" at all. It is a very stately chair. I think that is key in looking for a good, classic wingback.
4b. Phoenix CL Wingback, $100
This one is very similar to the anthro wingback. I would reupholster it in a fun fabric and add piping in a contrasting color.
6a. Anthro Memello Chaise. $2000.


I love a chaise by a window or a reading nook. They're always perfect in large bedrooms. I like the bird print, too.

6b. Chaise from Boston's CraigsList, $100.
It's not even close to the shape of the Anthropologie chaise, and I realize it looks totally dumpy in these photos, but this one has really clean lines and would be a breeze to upholster. I would purchase some new wooden legs online to replace those nasty fabric-covered bun feet.


7a. Astrid Chair at Anthropologie, $1300
7b. San Francisco Antique chair, $175. Again, not exactly the same chair, but the lines are similar. In a lot of ways, I actually like the Craig'sList chair more than the Astrid. I would paint the wood though. And obviously change the fabric.


That was fun! If anyone is lusting after an expensive piece of retail furniture, let me know and I'll try to find a substitute for you. If you're in the Boston area, I'll even help you fix it up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment