Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bird's Eye Maple



I haven't purchased a large antique item in awhile. I see lots of things I'd love to bring home mind you, but variables such as need, cost and feasibility of transport always play their part.

Well, it seems that all three of those variables aligned the other day because we have ourselves a new dresser. I'd been looking for a dresser for our guest house ever since I stole the one that was there originally (here) for my office (here).


Our new old dresser is a lovely Victorian piece with a gorgeous bird's eye maple veneer on the drawer panels. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I happen to love, love, love bird's eye maple. I think it offers such a sweet reminder of nature's beautiful handiwork.


Here's the bird's eye maple up close. I hadn't realized it before, but apparently bird's eye maple is quite a phenomenon as it isn't clear what causes the wood (typically maples) to form these swirl marks. Some say it occurs because of insects, others say it results from birds pecking at the tree.


Combined with the craftsmanship of this intricately made piece, it's quite a happy marriage of two beautiful art forms.



I love these sweet little hand carved key holes found on each of the dresser drawers.


And the attached mirror looks very Eastlake with its beautifully incised pattern detail and the ornately carved mirror.


The old Victorian brass and wood pulls add a refined look to the piece. This is what I love most about beautiful antique pieces like this. They make rustic environments feel more refined, and refined environments feel more rustic.

A perfect balance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment